Thursday, November 15, 2012

Not So Basic Flats


DIY Anthropologie Scarf Flats

DIY Anthropologie Shoes

DIY Anthropologie Scarf Flats

Life lesson: whenever you get to make a craft for work, it's a good day. When you are me and you make any excuse to break out the superglue, thread, needle, and grommet puncher-- it's like thegreatest day ever. I saw these flats on Anthropologie's site about a month ago and since I work for a scarves store, I knew I had to make some sort of DIY project out of the idea. ;)

The inspiration:

Anthropologie, I love you. I mean I really, really love you. But there's no way I am paying $148 for a pair of flats. (Oh, they're on sale for $78 now?) Still, *splutter, cough, choke* no.

Scarf Flats

Step 1: For these shoes, you need a pair of flats. My glitter flats are from Payless and I highly, highly recommend them. I think I might go back and get a scarf-less pair for backup. Hehe. (You never know when life is going to call for a good pair of glitter flats!) Whip out some thread, a needle, scissors, and a scarf of course. I used a vintage scarf that my mom had used in a previous DIY project. I just thought it was too pretty to be stuck lying around.

Scarf Flats

Step 2: Next you need to cut up your scarf into four strips. You need to cut the strips wide enough so that you can fold them in half, stitch them up, and then flip them inside out. (In the end you will have a little scarf tube to sew to your flats.)

Scarf Flats

Step 3: Now you need to sew the little strips into tubes. I stitched the tubes by hand, (because I crafted at work) but I recommend stitching the tubes up with a machine. Scarf Flats

Step 4: After you’ve stitched the little scarf tubes, you just start stitching the fabric to your flats. This is where a thimble comes in handy because as I am typing this, my fingers are in a little bit more pain than usual because I stabbed myself with the needle a few times. Don’t be stupid like me. Use a thimble.

Scarf Flats

Step 5: After you have both of the sides of your bow stitched to your shoe, all you have to do is tie it up. If your scarf tube is too long, just cut it to size and stitch the edges under so they do not fray.

DIY Anthropologie Flats And voila! After I got home, I fixed the bows up a little bit and stitched them down so that they do not flop around. :)

Scarf Flats 


xoxo
Blue

No comments:

Post a Comment