Monday, November 12, 2012

Featured Blogger: Susanna Lau


Excess Trimmed

>> Two things lie in excess in my house.  Bags and bags of brussel sprouts and boxes and boxes of silk scarves.  Nigel Slater has given me one idea to solve the problem of the sprouts overload.  A silk scarf bomb has suddenly exploded upon me when my friend Eliza of Style Salvage went poking around the house and found random scarves stuffed into the nooks and crannies of shelves.  My designated scarf box from Muji can no longer shelter anymore silk fancies.  
A trip to the books department in the Japan Centre to look for hair inspiration in hideously expensive beauty magazines (my hair may be turning up a different colour next year...) resulted in a copy of the latest So-Encoming home with me.  I can't afford it all the time but once in a while, a singular copy normally yields a lot of inspiration for future blog posts.  In this issue, the designer Michiko Nakayama of the label Muveil gave up two DIY ideas, one of which is a simple scarf tunic that I knocked up in less than half an hour whilst watching Saturday Kitchen this morning.  I wish I could expand a little bit more on Muveil.  I spotted the label at a United Arrows store in Tokyo where they had a trunk show of their S/S 12 skirt.  Ignore the cloyingly cutesy French gibberish on the website as there are some cute pieces which is part-vintage inspired, part upcycling and very 'Lady Lady' in the best of ways.  There was a particularly fetching embroidered lobster and starfish skirt that I desperately wanted only to find out they were only taking pre-orders for S/S 12 pieces at the time.  I might revisit Muveil and that bit of lobster loveliness (it hits the upcoming Schiaparelli exhibition and S/S 12's underwater theme all in one, no?) later when I go back to Tokyo in May.  
Img299
Img298
For now though, two scarves - one Benah scarf which came as a Christmas gift and an old David David scarf from last year's gift - came together fairly easily.  I'm not entirely sure I followed the instructions exactly seeing as I don't read Japanese but as per when I communicate with Japanese people in real life, hand gestures, diagrams and drawings go a long long way...
IMG_0049
IMG_0069
IMG_0061
IMG_0032
IMG_0066
(Worn with David David jumper and Irregular Choice x Cobrasnake wedges - the shoes are not a weird pledge of allegiance to the USA by the way...)
About the Blogger
Susanna Lau, also known as Susie Bubble, is a writer and editor living and working in London. Lau started her blog 'Style Bubble' in March 2006. It consists of her widely read thoughts, personal experiences and observations on fashion with a focus on spotlighting young and unknown talent. Lau was editor of Dazed Digital, the website of Dazed & Confused magazine, from 2008-2010. Lau now works full-time on her blog and other freelance projects, including writing for Elle, The Daily Rubbish and Dazed Digital.
Img005
Img006

No comments:

Post a Comment