Friday, November 9, 2012

Featured Blogger


DIY: How to Make a Scarf Shirt

How to Make a Scarf Shirt
This scarf shirt was actually one of my first projects I made when I started my blog almost three years ago. (HoLy CoW, has it been that long??) During my first blogging summer, I checked out this book on99 Ways to Cut, Sew, Tie & Rock Your Scarf from the libary and made this scarf shirt. (I guess scarvesand I were just meant to be... now that I work at a scarf store. ;))

How to Make a Scarf Shirt
I've grown exponentially in my tripod+remote+outfit photos, so I figured it might be good to re-shoot the scarf shirt and do it some DIY justice. ;) It's a really simple project-- ANYONE with two scarves and a brain can do it. ;) Also, IT IS SPRING!? Look at those daffodils!

What you need to make a scarf shirt:

-2 square scarves. You can find some silky scarves at a thrift store or you can check out these square scarves. I found my scarves at this hole-in-the-wall thrift store in Greencastle, Indiana where I went to college. :) (I miss that thrift store SO MUCH.)
-Needle and Thread

How to Make a Scarf Shirt
First you need to lay the two scarves on top of each other and make the corners match up. Then, the only thing you need to do is stitch the scarf together in strategic spots around the outside edges of the two scarves. I marked in the photo where I stitched my scarves together. If you don't want to sew two scarves together, you can take those tiny little safety pins and put them on the inside of the scarf. Then when you want to wear them as scarves again, you can just take them out!

How to Make a Scarf Shirt
For me, choosing the scarves to use in the shirt is all about the color and pattern. I thought about making sure the scarves match, but I chose to use a solid purple scarf on the back and a polka dotted scarf on the front.

How to Make a Scarf Shirt
I love the white polka dots on the navy and green scarf-- I think a huge part of my wardrobe/style is composed of Black/Navy+white stripes/polka dots + COLOR. :)

How to Make a Scarf Shirt
With this scarf shirt, you can also pull the off-the-shoulder thing as well.

How to Make a Scarf Shirt
Or untuck it and add a belt with pants or shorts. :)

How to Make a Scarf Shirt
A very easy sewing project. If anyone tries this DIY, I'd love to see the color/pattern combos! Always looking for ideas. :)


About


Stacie Grissom

Email: StarsforStreetlightsBlog(at)gmail.com


Hello! My name is Stacie Grissom and I am a 23-year-old DIY fashion and craft blogger living and working in New York City. During the day I work at BarkBox where I write the BarkPost and play with our office pups, but at night I'm an HTML putterer and crafting addict. Previously, I worked for an awesome scarf store where I took photos and made graphics on how to tie a scarf.

My goal with this blog is to grow as a crafter, a photographer, a design dabbler... and hopefully help some others along the way. :) If you want to work with me on anything from writing, to photography, to crafting and blogging, just shoot me an email!

StarsforStreetlightsblog@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment